For a simple eight-strand braid you will need:
- A sheet of thick card
- 2 strands of thread or yarn a meter long in one colour
- 2 strands of thread or yarn a meter long in another colour
- First make your Marudai, use the template below to cut one from your card.
- Fold your 4 strands in half and knot them to make a loop, push this through the hole in the centre of your Marudai and wedge the strands into the slits as shown
- Move the top right strand to the slit to the right of the bottom pair then the bottom left strand to the slit to the left of the top strand.
- Rotate your Marudai a quarter-turn anti-clockwise and repeat with the two other pairs.
- Continue working this way until your braid is the desired length then knot it and trim away the excess thread.
kumihimo blog, 12 strand round plait, Plastic Pieces Octagon, Japanese wooden scroll-shaped plant stand, seven strand plait octagonal